We are a Christian community:
- That embraces Jesus’ central teaching of love of God and neighbor
- That loves and respects each other because of, and despite, the many differences among us in specific beliefs and practices
- Where people find a loving, supportive, intergenerational community to share joy and sorrow
- Where individuals and families come together to make a difference in the local and global community and learn to live lightly on the earth
- Where inspiring and challenging preaching and liturgy strengthen our faith
- Where music and the arts in worship refresh heart and soul
- Where we invite and welcome all with open arms
Excerpt from the Vision Statement of Ladera Community Church, October, 2013
United Church of Christ Declaration of Faith*
We believe in God, the Eternal Spirit, who is made known to us in Jesus our brother, and to whose deeds we testify:
- God calls the worlds into being, creates humankind in the divine image, and sets before us the ways of life and death.
- God seeks in holy love to save all people from aimlessness and sin.
- God judges all humanity and all nations by that will of righteousness declared through prophets and apostles.
- In Jesus Christ, the man of Nazareth, our crucified and risen Lord, God has come to us and shared our common lot, conquering sin and death and reconciling the whole creation to its Creator.
- God bestows upon us the Holy Spirit, creating and renewing the church of Jesus Christ, binding in covenant faithful people of all ages, tongues, and races.
- God calls us into the church to accept the cost and joy of discipleship, to be servants in the service of the whole human family, to proclaim the gospel to all the world and resist the powers of evil, to share in Christ’s baptism and eat at his table, to join him in his passion and victory.
- God promises to all who trust in the gospel forgiveness of sins and fullness of grace, courage in the struggle for justice and peace, the presence of the Holy Spirit in trial and rejoicing, and eternal life in that kingdom which has no end.
* The United Church of Christ is a “covenanting” rather than a “creedal” church. No one has to accept any prescribed beliefs to be part of our fellowship, or to become a member of our church. We travel the road of faith together, supporting and challenging each other as we seek the way of Christ’s love and example opened for all.